6.18.2013

Can't take it with me

To many readers, our personal libraries not only represent a collection of favorite books, but also a collection of friends and memories. Giving up books can be difficult. Still, I need to pare down my collection before I skip town.
 My friend Hathaway has promised to adopt the library while i'm away, but I can't burden her with every book that has lodged in my shelves over the last few years. Three criteria will let me save a book:
1. Do I love it?
2. Will I want to refer to it again?
3. Do I have other books by that author?








Each book to keep gets a stamp in the back:
The BookTote (tm) will hold the "small" collection of books I want to read while I am on the road:

 The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology
Native American Testimony Ed. Peter Nabokov
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
The PowerBook by Jeanette Winterson
Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev
The Bostonians by Henry James
Sixty Stories by Donald Barthelme
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
Angels in America by Tony Kushner
The Waterfront Journals by David Wojnarowicz
The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
Thus Spake Zarathusra by Friedrich Nietzsche
Kinship with All Life by J. Allen Boone
Letters from Hawaii by Mark Twain
Holy Bible
The Kingdom of Heaven Within
Billions & Billions by Carl Sagan
The Life and Death of Planet Earth by Peter Ward & Donald Brownlee
The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Okay, so that's a lot of books. Might take me a couple weeks to get through ;) Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Bonfire of the vanities - That's a great place to start.

    ReplyDelete