7.11.2013

Homeless loner

Last night was the first that I spent by myself since moving out of Brooklyn. Even Pickle had to sleep in the car as the Ramada Inn in Wilkes-Berre, PA "is not pet friendly" (please, never stay there). As I lay alone in my non-smoking room that stank like cigarettes and cotton candy, I had to keep reminding myself that I am not wandering aimlessly--that this might feel difficult but there is ultimately a point.

And today I am grateful to have a set destination: Rochester, NY to visit my old friend Kurt and his wife Ali. Kurt and I were abroad together in New Zealand during college. Kurt vibbed to Nora Jones and wrote philosophical reflections in a spiral notebook; I was enthusiastic but closeted and tough. We traveled and made fun of the other people in our program. We were cool to ourselves. Although our communications have become biannual at best, I will always value his friendship, and I look forward to seeing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment